Thursday, July 8, 2010

Early Work #6


Another example of my attempt to produce my own comic book. I'm guessing Junior High, here. At any rate, I was young enough to not know that "The Trojan" wasn't the best name for a comic book super hero. (Unless I was shooting for an underground comic) Seeing how badly the paint mingles with my penciling here reminds me of a conversation I had with my father. I hated the act of inking. Not understanding the subtleties of the process, I felt like I was repeating the same action twice. (Much as I would years later with priming and painting my house) I mentioned my dislike of having to go back to ink the stories to my father, and he said, "Why don't you just draw it in ink in the first place?" "What if I make a mistake?" I responded, knocking gaping hole in his theory. "Don't make mistakes," he replied. My father was a potter and ceramics professor, so when he would render an image with glaze on one of his pots, he would only have one chance to get it right. But judging from this comic book page, I didn't take his suggestion to heart.

No comments: