Thursday, June 10, 2010

Early Work #2










Showing my Mad Magazine roots, here's a Mort Drucker style parody I did of "The Godfather" before Mad came out with theirs. Since it was 1972 and I was 11 years old, I put this together with help from a LIFE magazine article for reference pictures, and a scene by scene retelling of the movie by my older brother, who at 17 was old enough to see it. Clearly not grasping all the complexities of the story, and still thinking that Al Pacino and Dustin Hoffman were the same person, I dove in with a ball point pen, undiluted watercolors and a typewriter, just like the pros did it. And if you compare it to the one that Mad Magazine eventually did, I think you'll see I gave them a run for their money: Spot-on likenesses, sense of humor and spelling.




No comments: