Monday, May 24, 2010

Stuff of the Week: "Batman: The Animated Series"


"Batman: The Animated Series" first aired in 1992 and my son and I were instant converts. Eventually, I'd figure out that the writing on the show was truly exceptional (notably the episodes by the great Paul Dini), but what first made me want to watch the show was the look. Most of the credit for this goes to the amazing Bruce Timm. It combined the best elements of the Tim Burton movies, with super cool deco look of the Fleisher Superman cartoons. And it all worked like a charm. It was one of the few series I can think of, that as time went on, they refined the design to only look better and better. The more they pushed the simplified, stylized design, the better I liked it. And if anything, the stories got darker and deeper. Mr. Freeze, shown here, was given a tragic back story that made you almost root for him. His costume was one of the few not designed by Timm, but was created by the equally amazing Mike (Hellboy) Mignola. Ah, T.V. Animation in the 90's. There will be plenty of more posts on that topic to follow.

No comments: