Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Stuff of the Day: "Pee-Wee's Playhouse Toys"


I'm a big Pee-Wee Herman fan, starting with his Letterman appearances, though the "Pee-Wee Herman Show" that I tracked down on VHS, "Pee-Wee's Big Adventure" (co-written with the late, great Phil Hartman) and into "Pee-Wee's Playhouse." The design sensibility was firmly in my wheel house, as was the ability to tap into that childhood logic. I would have watched whether I had kids or not, but having a son who was the right age (and later a daughter, through taped episodes) to enjoy it with me was perfect. And it gave me the excuse to buy some of the merchandising, including the fold-open Playhouse itself, which these figures are from. I wish I was in the L.A. area to see Paul Reubens bring Pee-Wee back to life recently, but the toys and DVDs will have to suffice. Todays secret word is "Giant Underpants." (AHHHHHHHH!)

No comments: